Spiced Porridge Soup
This makes a great start to the day. It is important to start with the day with something warm and nourishing, especially at this time of the year. Powdered spices lose their flavour and their health benefits over time which is why I have used whole spices. Using whole spices means that they haven't lost their potency and you will definitely notice the flavour infused throughout your bowl of porridge. If you are making this for one person, using a whole cinnamon stick can feel like a bit of an extravagance, so I often only use half.
- 40g Rolled Porridge Oats per person
- 300ml Unsweetened Almond Milk per person
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Green Cardamom Pod
- 1 Clove
- A few Cacao Nibs per person
- Honey or Maple Syrup to taste (optional)
- Put all the oats, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and almond milk into a saucepan and give it a bit of a stir. Gently simmer on the hob until it has reached the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. I heat mine for around 15mins but if you like a thicker consistency, then it may be closer to 20mins.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle the cacao nibs on top.
- If sweetening with honey, allow the porridge to cool down slightly before adding as honey shouldn't be added to anything hot - adding to warm food is fine.